Sunday, June 14, 2009

Anatomy of a Butterfly

The other day when Duncan was leaving for work, he popped his head back in the door and--he knows me so well--said, "You might want to bring your camera out, there's a butterfly on the porch." So, Chloe and I spent the next 20 minutes outside; me taking pictures of the butterfly and trying to keep an eye on her as she made her way down ALL the brick steps in front of our house. She was fascinated with the butterfly, but only briefly. (Don't you love our beautiful outdoor carpet?)


It was a lovely butterfly. But I noticed in one picture that you could zoom in and see some pretty interesting detail, like the bulging black eye and the circular thing under the head. It looks like a piece of licorice! Ah, the wonders of nature! (Click on the picture to see it even more clearly.)

6 comments:

Amy said...

That is amazing Gina. I love the detail. Oh fun.

Maria Babin said...

we had a butterfly land in our backyard yesterday too, but alas my camera would not have taken as pristine photos. amazingly beautiful. i love the detail!

Nick + Liz said...

great pictures, I like the close up.

Lynda said...

Exquisitely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I sure love you, babe :) xoxo

The Carlson Family said...

That butterfly picture is really cool!