Ever since a recent day when I had Little Debbie snack cakes and potato chips for lunch, and then proceeded to have a horrible day with zero patience or tolerance for my children, I've been thinking a lot about the effect that food has on the mind and body. The day after that horrible day, my mother-in-law told me about a free nutrition class offered at The Good Earth in Orem, which I attended. Instead of recount the stories and information from the class, I'll just put the link to presenter's website: The Green Smoothie Girl.
When I came home from the class, I asked Duncan if he would mind if we threw out all the leftover Easter candy. He agreed that it would be a good idea. Then one thing led to another, and this is what we threw away that night.
This was a little over two weeks ago, and since then we (including the girls) have virtually been off of sugar (refined white sugar, to be more specific). It's been great. I feel more stable and have had more energy. Duncan has been feeling great, too, and was thrilled when his white shirt felt looser in the neck and his abdomen firmer.
I've also been making green smoothies lately, which my mother-in-law has already been doing for the past five or six months since buying a Vitamix blender. Today's smoothie was especially delicious. It had fresh raw spinach, one mango, one orange, one banana, lime juice, a couple tablespoons of agave, and about a cup each of water and ice. The girls loved it. In fact, Chloe said, "This treat is really yummy!"
I'm still a novice at the smoothie thing, and haven't ventured past spinach in terms of adding greens and other veggies. I also would like to get the right kind of blender, like a Vitamix or a Blendtec. But for now, I'm using my mom's Bosch with a blender, and it has worked fine (also for making whole wheat bread). So, here's to many more years of a lot less sugar, and a lot more raw, whole food!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Awesome! I have been eating much, much less sugar in the last 12 weeks (Kristi Approved). I, too, would love to acquire one of those spiffy blenders. I always watch the entire demo at Costco when they come. I know my kids would eat spinach and love it blended into a smoothie.
We went sugar free...and I mean sugar FREE, no carbs, nothing processed ect. in March and it's been great for both my waist line and Dave's. Here's to better health!
Grandma Brown would be proud of you.
Post a Comment