Anyway, my sister-in-law, Elizabeth, was a great hostess and she and Kathleen took me to visit Old Salem. Old Salem is a town that was settled by Moravians back in...well, a long time ago. Nowadays, you can see the town as it might have looked in its early days. Everyone who works there wears the old style clothing and everything is very colonial looking. Aside from all the interesting history, there is a marvelous bakery there called Winkler's Bakery, where they make this wonderful thing called Moravian Sugar Cake.Here you can see part of the baking process.


While at the bakery, I bought a little book of recipe cards, and I've made the sugar cake several times. I would describe it as a cross between cinnamon rolls and coffee cake, and it is oh so yummy. I feel compelled to give you the recipe here because I fear that if you go looking for one on the internet, you will be led astray. (One recipe that claimed to be Winkler's called for 6 cups of flour!) So here is the recipe I used: (You'll probably need to click on it to read it.)
Here it is all dimpled and dribbled and what not, and ready to go in the oven.
1 comment:
I am going to have to try and make that. It looks great.
Post a Comment