Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Family Favorite: Whole Wheat Ginger Cookies

Mom used to make these when we were growing up, and they are delicious. They're a nice cookie to make this time of year. This recipe makes a lot of cookies, and may require some additional flour, depending on how you like them. The ones pictured above have 1/4 to 1/3 cup extra flour for half the recipe.

Whole Wheat Ginger Cookies (Double Recipe)

1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
3 beaten eggs
4 cups whole wheat flour, sifted twice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons soda
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cloves
2 teaspoons ginger

Cream shortening and sugar. Add wet ingredients and then dry ingredients. Roll into balls. Roll in sugar. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

4 comments:

Callie said...

Yummy Gina! Thanks!

Joy :) said...

I love it when you put recipes on your blog! I have been wanting to learn how to make my own bread or rolls. Do you have any good recipes that are simple enough but yummy?

zopopee said...

wow, yum. we'll have to make some this christmas, just like old times

Nick + Liz said...

I made these last night. Thanks for posting the recipe. I could not make them fast enough... the K-boys and girls + Hudson loved them. I heard things like... these are mad tight, mad good, best cookies ever. At first they were asking if they were ginger snaps and I said, no more like ginger chews and one of the boys said "Ginger Butter" (that was a compliment). I also took them to seminary this morning. They loved them too.