Saturday, October 23, 2010

Time Out in Maine: Cemeteries

I don't know what it is about cemeteries, but there's something that draws me in. During our time in New England, I was captivated by the old, mossy, road-side plots that we passed. I would have asked Duncan to stop at all of them, but that would have been impractical, and will have to wait for a cemetery-specific tour. We did stop at one, however, and also visited the very large, historic cemetery in Portland where some of Duncan's relatives are (and will be) buried.

So, in the spirit of Halloween and New England in the fall, here are some shots of the final resting places of people that I don't know.

We came across this cemetery and I just had to stop.

Later, on a very gray, misty day, we visited Evergreen Cemetery, where Duncan's family has some plots. The cemetery is in Portland and is quite large, with some wetlands and wildlife. We had a great time walking around in the rain and enjoying the emerging fall colors. Here are some shots from that day.

I tried to make this one look extra spooky....

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Cool pics Gina. I will have to show the kids when they get home. I like reading tombstones. There is so much mystery in cemeteries.

Nick + Liz said...

Some of those look really old. Nice pictures.