Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Time Out in Maine: The Mosquito

"The Mosquito" is no ordinary mosquito. In fact, this mosquito gives you ice cream. :) I became acquainted with The Mosquito the first time I went to Maine. It's a popular, seasonal haunt among locals there in Raymond, and they have great ice cream. (I wouldn't say that the ice cream itself is the best I've ever had, but it's the combination of charm, the variety of flavors, and just being in Maine that make it a favorite!)

The first time I went to The Mosquito they were serving ice cream out of this little building: the typical, yet rustically charming, "dive" right next to a gas station and convenience store.
On my second visit to Maine, the mosquito people had moved into a brand new building about 100 yards away. Much more commodious, yet still offering a laid-back, Maine kind of feel.
The Mosquito played a major role in our vacation. We're talking twice a day some days. We would actually plan some of our outings around this place's hours of business. We really got to know the owners, Darcy and her boyfriend Travis. Yeah, we're on a first name basis. (If you know Duncan, that's not a surprise.) During one ice cream stop, we were short a dollar (we were getting extra to take back to Grammy, and they only take cash). No problem, we'll be back.

I think you can see the effects of the repeated visits here in my cheeks.

So if you're ever in Raymond, Maine between May and October, go to The Mosquito and tell them the Utah transplants sent you. :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Maine seems so beautiful. The pictures are gorgeous. Glad you had a good time and that you got some R&R.

Joy :) said...

That's one of our favorite places also!! YUMMY!