Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Time Out in Maine: The Lake

So, the lake--officially known as Panther Pond, but so much more than a pond--became an integral part of the Peterson/Parker family back in the sixties, when Duncan's grandparents purchased some property there. I, myself, have now been there three times in the past three years for visits and a family reunion.

On our most recent trip, we stayed in the cottage known as "Number 1" (even though the outside has an A on it). The last time I was at the lake the cottages were an orangish-brown color. But last summer, the family decided to upgrade to Cape Cod Gray, and oh, what a difference.

We loved spending early mornings (but mostly late mornings) having breakfast or just sitting on the dock.
Grammy Grace lives in "Number 2" during the summer, and we had some delightful visits with her (can you believe I didn't get a picture of her this trip??). On our second day she treated us to a delicious homemade dinner of meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Now if this spread does not say nostalgia, I don't know what does. I mean, this is classic American cuisine. And do you remember those salt and pepper shakers? I love it! (Which is why I took a picture of it and am putting the picture on this blog.)
Well, that's almost it for this installment of our Maine trip. I'll just leave you with these few images of the lake property. Thanks for tuning in.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Amazing. What a great way to grow up!

Erin said...

It looks peaceful and beautiful. What a great place.

Lynda said...

It looks so idyllic and peaceful. Gorgeous!

Joy :) said...

LOVE the gray color on Cabin A!!!!!!! I remember Graces cooking, you said it just right, good down home cooking :)