A Tarte Tatin is a French upside down apple tart. I tasted one of these beauties while on my mission, but have never made one...until now. I used a recipe from a French cookbook that my mother-in-law gave me for my birthday this year. With apples now in season, it seemed like the perfect time to recreate the deliciousness that I remembered from long ago.
You start by cooking apples in butter and sugar on the stove top until the sugar caramelizes. Then you roll out the dough for the crust, put it over the apples and bake the whole thing in the oven.

Here is mine just out of the oven. (Sorry the pictures are so bad. I used a black pan and the stove top is black.) My dough was a little dry, so it didn't make the prettiest crust. It's actually supposed to drape down around the apples.

Then you invert the tart onto a serving plate and voila! It tasted really good. Not bad for my first one! I love the caramel flavor with the apples.
1 comment:
It looks delicious! You can't go wrong with butter, sugar, apples, and a crust. Mmmmmmmm.
Post a Comment