Sunday, October 17, 2010

Time Out in Maine: Portland Head Light and Pine Point

During our trip, we made the pilgrimage to one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world: Portland Head Light. Duncan's mom grew up right around the corner from this picturesque and historic place, and it's always a treat for me to see it. We picked up some Amato's Italian sandwiches (another Maine tradition) and ate them in the car before walking around the lighthouse.

On our way to the lighthouse we also stopped here:
This bakery was a favorite place of Duncan's mom as a youngster. In fact, her mom used to get her birthday cakes here. The building in the picture is actually new, as the original bakery burned down several years ago and was rebuilt.

We also made a little trip to the beach at Pine Point. As you can see by the pictures, on both of these days the weather was cloudy and misty. In fact, when we arrived at the beach, it was raining enough that we decided to take a nap in the car to wait it out.
"There's some blue sky. Let us chase it!" (Name the movie.)

4 comments:

Nick + Liz said...

I'm guessing it is from a Jane Austen book/movie, but which one, I don't know.

Grammy said...

Lets see, "Sense and Sensitivity"? :)

Gina said...

Yep, "Sense and Sensibility"!

Amanda said...

I like how you wrote the girl's names in the sand. And way to go Grammy! I wouldn't have guessed it.